[TowerTalk] Participating in a contest for the sake of dx?

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Tue Feb 9 20:14:31 EST 2016

Note sure of your name or call.  My replies below.

On 2/9/2016 6:55 PM, dw wrote:
> I have heard DX mentors suggest that contests are high potential events
> for snagging some dx that wouldn't otherwise be so readily available.

All of the major DX contests have rare DX operations that may only be
available for the contest.

See: http://www.ng3k.com/Contest/index.html

> But I'm not sure how the contest people would feel about that?

Trust me..contest ops WELCOME your QSOs.  There is nothing worse than
running out of guys to work.  The one caveat I would mention is that you
should be familiar with the rules and make sure that you're giving the
contest op a valid contact and one that counts for points.  For example,
if you're in the CQWW DX contest, and you live in the US, don't call
other stations in the US.  In CQWW, US to US contacts are worth zero
points.  Also, if the contest requires you exchange, for example, your
CQ Zone, don't give your ITU zone or your state :)

An excellent resource, when you turn on your radio and wonder, "what
contest is this and what are the rules" is:

http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php
<http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php>

Also, contesting.com is an excellent resource (and they host this
reflector :)  ) http://www.contesting.com/

> If ham-1 (a contest ham who will be submitting his log) makes a contact
> with ham-2
> (a dx chaser who won't be submitting his log) does the absence of
> ham-2's log
> disqualify ham-1's contact with ham-2, resulting in lowering his score?

Most contests allow QSOs with "uniques".  Uniques being QSOs that only
appear once in one person's log.  Also, if you don't send in a log, most
contest do not penalize the contest op.

> If it works that way, I would anticipate the serious contest hams would
> be a little miffed
> at people who use the occasion to simply add contacts to their personal
> log book.
>
> But perhaps I'm mistaken?

I hope to hear you in the next contest.  Jump in with both feet and have
fun!