[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cadwelding to Rohn 45G and 55G

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 12 16:14:34 EST 2016

Ground (pipe/rod) clamps come in an bronze or brass alloy.  For clamping
on galvanized steel,  I think they are brass (Zn + Cu) but either may be ok?

I ran a 2 radials from each leg, that offers redundancy, lower
inductance, more capacitive ground coupling, and shortest paths.  I
would not recommend a ground ring if you want to measure your ground rod
resistances.  Any loops prevent that assuming the leads from it to the
rods are buried cadwelds.  I've also a convert to using bare #2 stranded
3 rods per radial connection spaced 15' or more apart. One at 5' from
tower then 20 and 35' out. 9 rods or more if more radials.  Best if
buried below the frost line as frozen water is a particulary poor
conductor..  The #2 also has enough surface area to act as a horizontal
grounding element.  I started with #6 for the first set of rods, then
used some #2 and after some measurements became convinced #2 was worth it.

Grant KZ1W