[TowerTalk] Force 12 loading coils

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 3 13:23:43 EST 2016

I found this interesting article (below) on the evolution of Force 12's
current Tornado loading coil design from
the beginning with the Tom Schiller, N6BT original design to their final
Tornado version.   I put this post on the EHAM antenna reflector but no
interest yet.
I was surprised that in the last part of the article they say that they
wont disclose the Q of their new Tornado coil.  Huh ???
Reading thru the article it indicates they went away from Tom's original
design to a smaller dia, smaller inductor,
which looks very similar to Tom's
original design. hmmmmmmmm
I have surmised from this that they developed a piece of #### loading
coil, then went back to a slight variation,
original design, higher Q, more efficient coil they named Tornado. It
bugs me that they wont divulge the Q,
my guess is that they dont want us to  compare the Q's of the loading
coil evolution from Tom's original design
to the current Tornado.  I think we know why they dont want us to
compare  :-)
Anyway I am trying to figure out the Q of the different coils.

here is the article:

http://www.force12inc.com/content/Application%20Note%20-%2040m%20Delta%20Coils%20Overview%20DRAFT%202.pdf

73,
Bob