[TowerTalk] [Bulk] PhillyStrand GRIPS???

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 15 22:28:36 EST 2016

The current Phillystran (PS) jacket is bonded to the Kevlar core. The
core is twisted strands, much like 7x19 wire rope and I think that adds
to the grip of the jacket to the Kevlar.  The jacket is only thick
enough to protect the Kevlar from UV.  I measured the jacket on 3
different breaking strength (1200, 2100, 6700#) current Phillys and they
were all the same thickness +/- the accuracy of measurement with a
digital caliper and how well the Kevlar was centered in the jacket.  The
jacket is the same thickness as on my 26,000# Philly of many years of
age and the non-adhering jacket.

I haven't tested grips for PS yet on my tension tester, but I have no
reason to doubt they work as well as grips on EHS.  I used them on my
boom and element guys with the HPTG-2100-I.

Check the installation instructions for the PS as it specifies a
pretension value and then re-tension after 24 hours to remove the
initial set.

Grant KZ1W