[TowerTalk] Fwd: Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Jan 31 00:31:33 EST 2016

I agree with the purchase at the places where you get cheap products,
But when it comes to TV antennas, (for a back ground)  When I was in my
20s and started work at a new job, I also installed TV antennas on the
side.  Like most of the younger crowd with at least a little ambition, I
tried many side jobs, but settled  on ham radio as a business as well as
firearms.  It didn't take long to work out all the good TV antenna
installations and I got tired of long days and short nights with a good
job and the business out of the home.  I had forgotten some of the ways
I tried to make extra spending money.  Most were far too much work for
too little money and I definitely was not going back to farming!

At any rate, ALL the TV antennas back then, including Winegard were made
cheap. Now that was a long time ago, When we moved here in 84 I
installed a relatively small Winegard UHF/VHF antenna with a rotator
above the old TH3 at 90 feet.
*http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower8.htm* It worked well, but
the elements were still made from thin, rolled, thin Aluminum sheet.
They were very fragile.

Still, on the American made front there is equipment made to a price
with over rated equipment and I'm not picking on one company.  Through
the years, many of us can recall antennas with outrageous claims. Still
today, many gain figures require a grain or two of salt.<:-)

When the 45G went up, I played with a few antennas including
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower21.htm  , but settled on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower34.htm The photo only shows
the TV antenna pointed ESE as we had to remove the one pointed NW while
taking the 7L 6-meter C3i down.  The 144 and 440s were next.  the
antennas made it to the ground safely, but that long, rusty mast got
away from him and made it all the way to the concrete, inside the tower
,where it still resides. Amazingly, despite all the noise it made on the
way down, it did no damage to the tower. Not even to the galvanizing!
The plan is to eventually cut it up and take the short pieces out the
side. .

I found that all the TV antennas were all fragile, regardless of the
reviews which appeared much like Ham equipment reviews, each had their
detractors.  I tried from Radio Shacks imports to Winegard.  I settled
for the biggest UHF antennas Radio Shack sold as I saw very little
difference in robustness across the lot and little price difference for
comparable antennas.  The only thing The Winegard antennas had going for
the ones I tried, was the "Made in America", but we are now in a global
economy.

As for ham antennas, I like the C19XR, but would like the larger C31XR.
Like most mass produced antennas, it is fragile when on the ground or
sawhorses, but rugged in the air (neglecting large migrating birds). I
don't have a photo of what a lawnmower tire did to one end of the 20
meter reflector, or the broken boom truss on the 7L C3i from the
Cormorants, but "somewhere among over 30,000 plus photos I have a series
of the Cormorants on the antenna and truss, just like some where I have
a series of photos from the 70s of our full size cars completely covered
with snow in the driveway. <:-) OTOH, this is what it did to the TH5
before I could get a climber to get it down.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower36.htm

73

Roger  (K8RI)