[TowerTalk] F12 C19XR Rivets

Kevin Stover kevin.stover at mediacombb.net
Sat Mar 12 16:46:56 EST 2016

I believe the cabs and beds are all 5000 or 6000 series Al. 5000 in low
stress areas like the cowl, cab floor and inner door panels, 6000 series
is used in high stress areas like the cab, sills, and A-Pillars.
The Aluminum is glued, riveted and screwed in place. Very few spot
welds. Spot welding aluminum requires higher electric currents and some
means of removing the oxidized coating that covers the surface. Thus the
reason aircraft are riveted.
The proof of concept was 40 Mercury Sables from 1995 and the 2003 Jag XJ.
If I remember correctly they saved about 250-300lbs of weight on the F-150.