[TowerTalk] Mast Material

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 14:42:29 EDT 2016

W8TAH wrote:

"I am wondering about an alternative material. Such as thick wall
electrical conduit (AKA EMP)"

Forget the electrical conduit and fence posts. Go to your plumbing
supply store and get a piece of 1 1/2" Schedule 40 steel water pipe.
Make sure it has an outer diameter of 1.90", which makes it just about
right for a so-called "2 inch mast". The standard length is 21 feet.
Bought a length a few years ago for about $75.

Put the tribander no more than a few inches above the top of the tower.
The 6 meter and 2 meter beams can be a few feet above that.

I think you are asking for trouble coupling together several sections of
pipe to achieve your goal of having the rotator be ground-accessible.

73,
Steve, N2IC