[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Mast Material

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Mar 15 14:41:06 EDT 2016

I had no qualms about using the fence rail as a gin pole. It was after
all, stronge than many commercial poles using a rather thin wall
Aluminum Tube and much more resistant to off axis loads.

The key is testing the pole.  With its ratings and resistance to taking
a permanent set, I found my "home made" gin pole to be substantially
superior to most commercial ones of the time.

Don't rule out a material because of its primary use.  I'd never use
water pipe because of the significant weigh and ease of bending.  The
fence rail of the proper strength is rugged. Really rugged. Much more
rugged than the larger AL tube that is often used. It easily handled
loads I would have never attempted to put on an Al tube.

I currently have a very heavy duty gin pole using a stock length 2"
6061T6 with 0.25" wall. I use two 14" long  clamps 2 to 3 feet apart
when using the maximum reach.   That's a 24' mast minus 4 feet for the
mounts and another foot for the top mount being a foot below the top
section where I'd be working.  Always have the top pole mount at least
below the top cross braces.  Tower legs are not strong at all, by
themselves. but for ease of use, I still prefer

For ease of use, I still prefer that old fence rail.

Commercial, or homemade, ALWAYS  test a gin pole before use!

73

Roger  (K8RI)