[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Mast Material

JVarney jvarn359 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:42:41 EDT 2016

I would feel safe with SS40 fence post as a gin pole because it is a
structural tube. What defines structural tubing is not the intended
purpose, it's the specifications and certifications. SS40 meets a long list
of specs from ASTM, military, Homeland Security, FAA and so on. It's
certified at 50k yield. It can make an excellent mast for small tribanders
on modest towers.

Home Depot consumer-grade fence post is not structural tubing because it is
of unknown pedigree. Water pipe is not structural tube either because the
performance testing is based on burst strength not bending.

73 Jim K6OK