[TowerTalk] Protecting Aluminum Antennas

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Mar 19 02:13:12 EDT 2016

I'm proud of that shiny and expensive antenna and it's no problem with
the neighbors, except one who is a problem no matter what you do.  Last
fall, someone over on that road (just around the corner) someone being
neighborly, mowed the ditch bank (shallow ditch)  She was fired up that
anyone would dare mess with "her" leaves, so there is no pleasing that
one. I'll probably get TVI complaints even when not on the air.  I've
been here since Sept 84 with only one TVI complaint and that neighbor
had a football party in his garage, watching Ch12 on rabbit ears.  I
gave him a spare antenna to put up in the rafters which earned me an
invite with free beer.  <:-)

At-any-rate, I'd like to keep good conductivity on the elements and stay
highly visible for the planes that spray twice a summer. At 130' they
would go around the antennas.  I'd like them to keep going around and
not through.  He might have a bit of a problem with that 2" heavy steel
mast.

This is a wooded rural subdivision thankfully with no HOAs.  I'm right
under the GPS6 to the local airport, but just inside the FAF, so I can
go nearly 190' with no problem.  I was a pilot until medical issues
caused me to not renew my medical.   With the top of the big array, the
array was visible from nearly a mile to the East.

I'm sure I'll hear about it when the big array goes back up.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm
I hope to install a  40M3 with a 50C7  (7L 6-meter Yagi on a 39'+ boom
about 12' above it.  It just depends on what help I can get, I wish I'd
have installed a 100 - 120 ft crank up instead of the 100' 45G when I
was working with a good income. More concrete, but no guys.

The neighbor next to her was over one day to see what I was working on.
It was a dirt base for a 50' 25 G.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Dirt_Base.htm  I took a break and
when I came back out, he and his wife had dug the hole and planted the
base for me.  That's the kind of neighborhood it was until the one
possessive of her leaves moved in.
Plus I now have an LM470 with a C19XR going up with maybe a WARC7 about
10' above it.
I'd really like a C31XR!  <:-)

73

Roger (K8RI)