[TowerTalk] SO-239 with longer reach?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 24 21:31:34 EDT 2016

I don't know of anything like what WW3S is looking for. A couple of
thoughts.

First, make sure that your construction provides a return path for RF
current that runs close enough to the traces on your board to form a
transmission line. That could take the form of a second layer, or, if
the PC board is quite close to the chassis and the connectors are bonded
to the chassis, the chassis could serve that function. BUT -- whether
the second layer or the chassis is used, crosstalk will increase and the
match will be degraded  if the layer or chassis serving as the return is
interrupted under the signal trace.

Second, the relays used really matter. The Array Solutions Six-Pak gets
the return layer circuit right, but poor quality relays degrade both
crosstalk and SWR.

It also matters which SO239 connectors are used. Some are better than
others. Mounting method also matters. I've seen a couple of units, but
don't remember which used which method. The one that works well and
could work for you mounts the connectors to the board on threaded metal
stand-offs that are screwed from the solder side of the board, and are
screwed to the chassis from the outside of the chassis. Also, the
"standard" SO239 with four mounting holes is superior, because it allows
the connector to be "wrench-tight."

73, Jim K9YC