[TowerTalk] FXL-780 hardline connector prep

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Tue May 24 10:36:55 EDT 2016

Hi,

They look to be. The connectors haven't arrived yet, I have them
coming in from fleabay but I looked on the Commscope page and this
looks to be the same connector.

Here's a youtube video showing how to install this connector using
their tool to prep it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1KGfomnCyg

At 1:41 they show the inner conductor length.

At 3:03 (Step 4) they show how to flare the outer conductor after the
first part of the connector (back nut) is attached, but it shows how
to do this with the tool. In this step 4 they also mention making a
flare on the inner conductor. I don't know how important the flairs
are but without the tool, I'm not sure how I'd make them properly.

They don't show the internal dimensions of the flare on the center
conductor or, how deep to core the cable or, how much outer jacket to
remove for the connector to fit properly.

I'm sure the answer is simple and it looks simple enough to do, I
just don't know about the flares and the amount of dielectric and
jacket to remove.

The problem for me is I have developed a major problem with my foot
and ankle and will be having surgery as soon as I get a 3rd opinion
(It is the a complicated issue and the first 2 opinions on how to
resolve this have differed) and after this operation, I will be
unable to weight bear for up to five months and while convalescing,
will not be able to get the coax off the spool and connected to the
ant & rig. So I have to get this done ASAP before the operation. I
need to know how to attach the connectors properly, without delay and
I'm trying to learn what I need to, now.

73,

Gary
KA1J