[TowerTalk] C31XR question

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun May 29 23:28:58 EDT 2016

Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 09:13:55 -0700
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj at pacbell.net>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR question

Syl,

How much mast is available above the C31 ?  Could you slide it up higher
on the mast ?

Here's what I would do first.  Make a sketch of the side view of the
C31XR to scale, something easy to
work with like 1/4" equals 1 foot.  Show the elements mounted on the
boom and the mast mounting point.
Then make another sketch of just the top of the tower with the mast
coming out the top.  Make sure the tower
top plate and the mast projection are also at 1/4" equals 1 foot scale.
Lastly take scissors and cut around the
scale drawing of the C31 boom and position it on the tower top drawing.
Rotate it down until you see the
point where it hits the tower top plate.  Measure out from the tower how
far the 20/15 driven el connection
point is (1/4" equals 1 foot)   Then you can see if you can reach out
far enough.  If I was at the office I could
do this using a computer with AutoCad, but it is an easy layout to do on
paper.

Bob
K6UJ

##  Bob, he has a F12  EF-240S  mounted  8 ft above the C31XR.
The EF-240S boom  is rotated  90 degs to the C31 boom...so the 40m
yagi doesnt screw up 15m. .

## The closest he might be able to get to the 15m DE on the c31 is
aprx 35 inches.  If the balun is still good, then only the coax needs to be replaced,
and those baluns are aprx 1 ft long.

##  original coaxs used solid center conductors.... which is fine, except where you
get to the rotor loops.  After 10 years, they have caused grief.

##  I have used the scaling on paper thing b4..works good.   I use  1/4  inch grid
paper.  Used it for everything  from ants to amplifier layouts.

Jim  VE7RF