[TowerTalk] Change in Frequency As Antenna Height Rises

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue May 31 13:29:17 EDT 2016

Exactly right, Grant.

I regularly measure Z in the shack with my DG8SAQ-designed VNWA, follow
that with a TDR measurement of the line at VHF, then use Dan's ZPlots
with short and open measurements of a shorter length of the coax to
determine Vf as a function of frequency, and then use SimSmith to
subtract out the transmission line to show the Z at the antenna (and to
design stub matching networks, when needed). It's important to realize
that Vf varies a percent or so with frequency, so to get Z at the
antenna we must use Vf at the frequency of the antenna. The error is not
great with electrically short lines, but can be a significant source of
error with longer lines.

73, Jim K9YC