[TowerTalk] Source of mineral oil for dummy loads in Canada?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 3 09:42:08 EDT 2016

On 11/3/16 6:28 AM, jimlux wrote:
> On 11/3/16 2:38 AM, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
>> Where are VE's buying their mineral oil for their dummy loads?
>>

>> I have visited several of the more popular local stores here lately and
>> other than a tiny 250ml or slightly larger bottle, can't seem to find
>> mineral oil in any kid of jug or big bottle.
>>
>> I need to fill a "paint can type" of DL..
>>

>> Where did you buy yours in Canada?

I should point out that laxative mineral oil (what you get at the drug
store or feed store) is not insulating oil. Real insulating oil has
different viscosity and has fairly strict limits on the amount of water
and contaminants (much lower than USP grade mineral oil - a bit of water
doesn't change the laxative effect, but has a huge effect on the
breakdown voltage)

The other thing is that USP mineral oil doesn't have a well controlled
smoke or flash point - on the other hand, one hopes you're not getting
it that hot<grin>.

That said, lots of tesla coil experimenters have used regular old USP
mineral oil as a dielectric for years.

Diala, Uninvolt, etc. are usually only available in 5 gallon pails or 55
gallon drums.

Have you considered mail order from MFJ?
Yeah, it's $30, and shipping is probably as much again, but, then,
you're not spending hours googling and calling, driving miles to some
obscure jobber, etc.