[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg

Raymond Benny rayn6vr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:08:50 EDT 2016

Dave,

I'm not a structure engineer either, but an easy short term, or long term
fix, depending on how you feel about it, is to U bolt on a piece of 1/4" or
larger by 1 1/2 in to 2 1/2 in angle iron over the bent area. If you use
enough U bolts, around the leg and over the angle iron, you may be able to
almost straighten the bent part. You could also use a large strip of flat
steel between the leg and U bolts so not to crush the leg. It would help to
tap on the diagonal cross support to help straighten the vertical leg too
as you tighten the U bolts..

I did this same thing on a 120 ft of R25 tower. This piece angle iron was
left on the leg and lasted until the tower was taken down.

Ray,
N6VR