[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Oct 24 03:10:46 EDT 2016

Whoa!  ROHN states that it may be necessary to enlarge the bolt holes
with taper pin punches (do not drill out)  They are  definitely not a
precision fit because of the galvanizing.
I had to open roughly half of the holes in my 45G.

They go on to state: Do not screw reticent bolts into the holes, but
enlarge them first. Do not drill out the holes, use a taper pin punch to
carefully enlarge the holes. The same taper pin punches recommended to
be used to align the tower sections during alignment should work fine.
Any grade 5 or better bolt will work including SS, although the ROHN
bolt kit is recommended because of the galvanizing.  Enlarging the holes
with these punches leaves the galvanizing in tact.

On my 45G, I used the punches in the small bolt holes in "each" leg
before installing the bolts.

If you use SS be sure to coat the threads with Never Seize.  SS with out
the Never Seize tends to weld itself together making it necessary to
twist the bolts off which may require a lot of effort, making
disassembly difficult.

When using compound on threads, tighten adequately BUT be careful not to
over tighten and compress the legs. That tubing, by itself can be easily
bent.  The tower depends on the entire structure for maximum strength.

Welding usually weakens the thin tube, but the towers are "usually
loaded far below their maximum and continue to work out their intended
lifetimes.

73

Roger (K8RI)