[TowerTalk] Guy Tensioning

StellarCAT rxdesign at ssvecnet.com
Sun Oct 23 19:04:54 EDT 2016

I was surprised at this thread! I hadn't been aware of any previous threads
related to the use of Loos gauges nor did I know they were not meant for EHS
cable!

Someone had said "when you get up to 10% tension they read roughly right"
(paraphrasing but I believe the essence is correct) ... well that isn't so!

I JUST finished running the cables today for my new installation... 148'
rotating tower with 6 large monobanders on it ... Looks REALLY sweet ...
anyway the guy doing the tower work, Benny out of Tenn. (great guy - great
work - great prices) brought a Penn-Tech gauge with. It IS designed for EHS
... I used it to set the top guy which is 5/16" (EHS and 1/2 philly) ... so
I took his gauge and compared it to my Loos model B (and to his Loos PT2)
... the Loos B read ~630# on the 1/4" EHS guys (middle and bottom sets) ...
the PT2 read 680# ... the PT ... it read 400! 4 0 0 !!!

In my humble opinion that is scary far from where I THOUGHT it was - like
more than 50% of the actual rating shy of the desired tension spot (660#
with ~ 68degrees).

WOW. I was blown away. All the 7 years I had my loaded tower up in AZ I had
the same tension - so it too was under tensioned.

So I'm going to adjust the bottom set of guys using the PT and then once it
is set correctly at 660# I will then compare it to the LOOS and I'll then
have a comparison point I can pass along to anyone using the Loos (model B)

Gary
K9RX

[I've been working on this project for 18 months - poured concrete in
December of last year ... FINALLY have it all up. I'm still not done as the
crane got canceled for our scheduled time and I was concerned it would get
pushed out too far so I asked if they'd do Saturday - w/o OT since they
canceled it - they said YES and we had 9 hours of listening to that diesel
engine yesterday ... so because of the rush I still have to install the
terminal boxes at the base of the 2 towers and wire everything up (5 miles
of control wire) but I was able today to just put a power supply at the base
of the antenna and use my SARK to check and all 6 antennas - SWEET!
Including a modified Optibeam OB4-40 that is near perfect]