[TowerTalk] Guy Tensioning

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Oct 23 20:32:44 EDT 2016

I've never owned a Loos, but have owned a couple Penn-Tech commercial
tensionmeters.

I just looked at the chart for the TM-800 to see what could be gleaned
related to the 7 strand vs 19 strand scenario that could be applied to
the general case, and I have to admit I'm a little confused.

In the case of 9/16", the table converges at 3500 lbs which is exactly
10% of breaking strength (IOW, gauge deflection for 7 strand is the same
as for 19 strand).

But for 5/8" wire, the curves never converge (7 strand always creates
higher gauge deflection than 19 strand for a given tension).

The TM-800 is designed for 3/16" to 3/4" wire, but 9/16" and 5?8" are
the only two sizes on the chart for which both 7 strand and 19 strand
defection values are given.

Maybe this is a mistake, I'll look into it a bit more.

-Steve K8LX