[TowerTalk] What do do on 80 when height restricted?

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 10:38:08 EDT 2016

I have dealt with this problem a couple of times on DXpeditions.  Here is
what worked for me and I use some of this solution today at my home station.

I have found that central loading of elements that reduce the length of a ¼
wave leg to about 35ft per leg is a good compromise of bandwidth, loss, and
performance options.

On DXpeditions, I have used a 35 foot ¼ radiator with MANY radials under it,
successfully.  Bandwidth is about 75khz.

At my home QTH, I run 3 horizontal sloping dipoles off of one of my 70 ft
towers (SE, SW, NW) and do EXTREMELY well.  I have worked BY, long path with
that set up and have 36 of 40 zones.  Bandwidth is about 90 – 100khz.

If I had 35 ft of height and a chance to lay down a radial field under or am
blessed with good ground conductivity, that’s what I would do – ¼ vertical
with a 35 ft center loaded radiator.

The thing I don’t like about really short inverted Ls is the horizontal
portion being too long and low really distorts the pattern in the desired
direction and is higher loss to ground than a nice center loaded radiator.
Model it and see for yourself – especially if your ground conductivity is
poor.

Ed  N1UR