[TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 21:32:19 EDT 2016

Here's the thing about synthetic oils.  The molecules in DINO (conventional
old style without the zinc additive) oil vary all over the place in size.
In synthetic oil, they are all very close in size.  So imagine a bearing
surface where all kinds of size of ball bearings are between two surfaces.
Only the larger size ball bearings are touching both surfaces.   Now imagine
that with synthetic oil almost all the ball bearings are touching both
surfaces.   You can see how synthetic will provide a superior wear
environment.  The only reason to change synthetic engine oil is because
either it is dirty or it has gone through a cold winter which can harm the
additives.  The oil itself does not wear out.

With all the molecules being a consistent size, you will get more seepage
through gaskets and seals. But that's the price you should want to live with
using a better oil.

In my 94 Corvette, I use Mobile Super Synthetic 5W-30, which is very similar
to the standard Mobil One, except that it has additives that cause gaskets
to slightly swell, thus providing better sealing.
After 24 years, there is a slight amount of leakage around a few of the
seals, but nothing drips on the floor.  To this day, it still doesn't have
any noticeable oil usage on the stick when it is ready for the next oil
change.

Never add any additives to commercial engine oils.  They will upset the
balance of the additives that were engineered into the oil and you will be
doing yourself and your engine a disservice.

Jim - KR9U

my Jeep motor. It was told it was not necessary to flush. The new synthetic
oil seeped out of all the gasket in the motor. Just FYI 73 Kent NC6B On Sep
5, 2016