[TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 7 12:11:14 EDT 2016

Another way to frame the issue is, "what is the cost difference for
large diameter cable connectors DIN vs N vs PL's?"  Then it is clear
DIN's are a winner since the production volumes and variety of DINs
probably exceeds the other two combined.  And they are superior
connectors, the commercial RF standard.  So for hardline or LMR600 or
larger, DINs are often cheaper (there are decent Chinese knockoffs and a
lot of Andrew surplus on ebay), likely more available, and better.  For
"RG" style cables, PL's are fine thru VHF except when they don't fit
some of the "interesting" stuff such as RG214 double shielded.  For all
connectors, I use the Andrew waterproofing kits and process, again the
commercial standard.  Of course, IMO.

Grant KZ1W

On 9/7/2016 5:53 AM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> Have I been reading links correctly showing DINs range anywhere from five to ten times the price of a good PL-259?
>
> One link had a non-volume price of US$45, dropping to about US$25 at high volumes, while another, IIRC, had prices starting at US$25.
>
> Are they really five to ten times better?
>
> 73, kelly, ve4xt

snip.......