[TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

Bob K6UJ k6uj at pacbell.net
Thu Sep 8 14:51:12 EDT 2016

My Hub City box on the UST HDX589 has one plug near the bottom and only
one more
on the side near the top.  No plug on the topside.
Hub City said never to fill past the upper plug.
There is a flushing fluid as Jim mentioned.  Or you can simply flush
with a quart
of the synthetic lube you are going to use. That's what I did.  I asked
Hub City about this and they said fine and
when flushing, run the worm gear for a little, raise and lower the tower
a little ways, until the gearbox gets warm, then drain.
The important thing is only flush with the correct flushing fluid or the
synthetic lube. You want to purge as much as you can of the old gear
lube. The synthetic lube is not compatible with the original gear lube.

Lastly, you will notice about half an inch or so of the old lube that
wont drain out because the drain plug is up a little from the bottom of
the case.  I stole my wifes turkey baster and put about 6 inches of
clear plastic
tubing on the end and used it to suck out the remaining lube on the
bottom.  Worked great.
(I got her a new baster, hihi)

Bob
K6UJ