[TowerTalk] ferrites for Beverage transformers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 12 13:10:03 EDT 2017

No.The first two digits in the part number indicate the application for
which the part is intended, and for which it is tested to meet published
specs. You can, for example, buy toroids of the same material and
physical dimensions that are tested as inductive components that carry
one part number and those tested as suppression components with a
different part number. #61 material is sold as an inductive part for use
at HF and as a suppression part for use at UHF. ALL ferrite parts have
this behavior and application -- the difference between one mix and
another is where in the frequency spectrum this transition takes place.
That's why I could use #43 cores, designed for suppression at VHF to
wind inductive components (transformers) for 2-4 MHz.

The second two digiits indicate the mix -- the chemical composition of
the material, and thus its electrical properties. The last two digits
indicate its finish. 02 indicates that it is burnished to eliminate
sharp edges.  The intermediate digits indicate form factor.

I don't understand the reluctance to go to Fair-Rite's website, download
and study their catalog. In my 50+ years as an EE graduate and much of
it a working engineer, Fair-Rite's technical data is among the top half
dozen companies EVER, ranking with companies like RCA, TI, ElectroVoice,
and National Semiconductor in the detail they provide about their
products. It is possible to actually LEARN by STUDYING the Fair-Rite
catalog. Assuming, of course, a basic understanding of the fundamentals.

http://www.fair-rite.com/files1/Fair-Rite_Catalog_17th_Edition.pdf
Material specs begin on page 10. Page 30 describes #73 material. A quick
study of the first graph of complex permeability vs frequency shows that
it is a poor choice as an inductive component above 1 MHz. Why it has
become popular for Beverage transformers is a mystery to me. The only
logic that comes to mind is "monkey see, monkey do." Indeed, W2DU
CORRECTLY chose this material for his "string of beads" common mode
choke that he called a "current balun," because is it quite lossy in the
HF spectrum.

73, Jim K9YC