[TowerTalk] Removing Tower Paint From Galvanized Tower

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Aug 5 09:50:15 EDT 2017

Rustoleum has a paint intended for applying over rust.  (Of course you
can use it on clean steel as well.) I have used it once in a while for
years.  Just remove the heavier rust and flakes. No need to get all the
rust off.  I have used it on light to moderate rust on steel exposed to
the environment and now going on 15 years later the paint looks nearly
new and there is no rust. No primer required.  Lowes had it in silver
and black. My steel square tubes are still shiny black over 14 years
later and are exposed to the sun and weather.  I had the paint dept
folks tint some quarts of silver with their darkest green pigment.
Result was light green with a little blue look to it. Pretty nice
looking but not what I really wanted.  If you try getting the silver
tinted  A N D  you aren't going to use it up right away... stir or shake
the can and then remove some of the paint to make room for the pigment.
The cans of tinted paint I stored (without making space for the pigment
before coloring them) popped their tops when they got hot.

This paint isn't super cheap but is super good.  For economy and to get
the color you want, just paint the rusted areas and areas likely to rust
and then paint over the whole tower with gray or whatever color you want.

Patrick