[TowerTalk] DXE Yagi Mechanical

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Aug 17 14:15:27 EDT 2017

Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:48:58 +0000 (UTC)
From: Dan Maguire <djm2150 at yahoo.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] DXE Yagi Mechanical

<The next update to AutoEZ will have the ability to both read and write Yagi Mechanical (YM) format files.  So if you start a design in YM you can easily import the taper schedules into AutoEZ and assign variables for things like element tip coordinates and <boom positions.  You can then use the AutoEZ optimizer to tweak the electrical properties (gain, pattern shape, SWR, etc) to your satisfaction.  When done you can then export back to YM format (*.stm file extension) and all the non-electrical properties
<(like tubing wall thicknesses, overlap amounts, yield stress, and density) will be preserved so you can pick up where you left off in the mechanical design.

<On the other hand, if you start out in AutoEZ you can create a YM file and AutoEZ will assign typical default non-electrical properties for each taper section when building the *.stm file.  In either case you can iterate back and forth between the two programs <until you are happy with both the electrical and mechanical aspect of the model.

<At the moment I'm still debugging this new feature and I'm looking for *.stm files for use as test cases.  If you are a user of both AutoEZ and Yagi Mechanical and you have any very complex *.stm files you'd be willing to share please contact me off-list.  The <more complex the *.stm file the better and any files you share will be kept strictly confidential.

<The next AutoEZ update will also be able to import Yagi Optimizer (YO) files but I already have hundreds of those that I've gathered from around the Web.

<Thanks.

<Dan, AC6LA
<http://ac6la.com/

##  I dont use AutoEZ but I do use YM all the time these days.  The question I have is.... the Resonant freq that YM spits out for each ele, is it close to what AutoEZ  spits out ?   If not, is the YM resonant freq a bit high..or low..and typ by how much ?
Lately  what I have been doing is to 1st design the REF  in YM.... such that it is strong enough for the job, etc.   Then only the tips are tweaked between say a REF, DE,  DIRS.   What I end up with is a REF that does the job, meets my specs,  then the shorter DE, + DIRS end up even stronger, due to their shorter lengths.  That process simplifies things a bit from a mech point, and also buying tubing etc.  But things can end up slightly askew if the aprx freq entered into YM is outa whack, and or the resonant freq that YM spits out  doesnt jive with reality.   It would save a lot of time in some cases.

Tnx.... Jim   VE7RF