[TowerTalk] guage of wire for 500 watt antenna?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Dec 3 14:37:02 EST 2017

On 12/2/2017 2:00 PM, Gary Slagel via TowerTalk wrote:
> Any suggestions or input?

I agree that it's mostly mechanical for strength. The electrical
limitation is I squared R, and current along an antenna is pretty well
known. It's forced to near zero at the ends, and peaks at one or more
points a quarter wave along the wire. A simple NEC model will show you
values. The stripped down version that comes on the CD with the ARRL
Handbook will do the job (and will teach you a lot).

Simply build the model -- a single wire of the length you plan to rig
with a generator in the middle. In Options, set the generator to 500W,
and calculate the current (or the pattern). Then look at currents along
the wire (with the Currents button).

73, Jim K9YC