[TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Dec 8 16:21:08 EST 2017

I have a PST-61D that had been turning an Optibeam OB16-3 and OB2-40, a
combination that is well within the rated capacity of the rotator.  I
used to park the antennas pointing roughly ENE so that the element tips
would point into the prevailing winds here at my hillside QTH.

The problem is that in the springtime when it gets really windy here,
the high ridge line to the west and south of me blocks those prevailing
winds and turns them into swirling wind gusts that AVERAGE anywhere from
50 mph to 80 mph about every three to five minutes ... with peaks
sometimes reaching 90 mph on a bad day. When those swirlers hit the
tower head on, the forces on each end of the boom don't balance ... they
add.  The resultant torque on the mast must be tremendous, and in any
case it eventually managed to strip the gears in the NE position.  It's
stuck there now until I decide to spend the money for Array Solutions to
rebuild it.

I too would probably opt for a prop pitch in the future.

73,
Dave   AB7E