[TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Dec 9 09:37:10 EST 2017

Kurt Andress, K7NV, pretty much tells it like it is whether or not his
audience chooses to believe reports from his experience and knowledge.
He does a fine job re-purposing prop pitch motors as antenna rotators.
His engineering and workmanship (and anyone he subs to) are of the
highest quality as evidenced by an examination of one of his rotators.
He told me his smaller model is more than sufficient to handle a SteppIR
DB42.  It is one gutsy unit.  The motor isn't turning unless energized.
High ratio worm drive "automatically" locks the output when the motor is
not powered.  No brake needed, no brake to wear, slip, or fail.

Many of his customers started out trying to find a good bargain price
rotator.  Their sad tales of woe are rife here and on other social
media. Eventually, after multiple failed attempts to get 10 lbs of
"STUFF" into a 5 lb bag they ante up and get one of his or other truly
stout units.

The true bargain approach is to buy his unit first and save the money,
time, effort, and grief of trying to "overstuff the bag" with units that
fail.

My congratulations to all of you who are getting good results with
re-purposed light duty TV rotors, hamsters on treadmills, or whatever.
The above does not apply to you.

Patrick        NJ5G