[TowerTalk] PST61 Rotor Reliability?

k7lxc at aol.com k7lxc at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 13:36:16 EST 2017

>  The problem is that in the springtime when it gets really windy here,
the high ridge line to the west and south of me blocks those prevailing
winds and turns them into swirling wind gusts that AVERAGE anywhere from
50 mph to 80 mph about every three to five minutes ... with peaks
sometimes reaching 90 mph on a bad day. When those swirlers hit the
tower head on, the forces on each end of the boom don't balance ... they
add.? The resultant torque on the mast must be tremendous, and in any
case it eventually managed to strip the gears in the NE position.?    If the antennas are mounted on the same side of the mast - yes, the additive torque is significant. My advice is to mount the antennas on opposite sides of the mast. That way, much of the torque is cancelled out. Dick Weber pointed this out in a QEX article years ago. That should have positive effects on your rotator as well.Cheers,Steve    K7LXCTOWER TECH