[TowerTalk] common mode chokes, baluns and multiband doublets

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Tue Dec 12 15:22:24 EST 2017

Nice of G3TXQ to so liberally quote my work:-)

I have a problem with W7FG recommending 4:1 baluns.
(http://trueladderline.com/all-baluns/)  I suspect the thinking is that because
the line is high impedance, the balun should be an impedance step up.  With a
non-resonant dipole fed with open wire, the input impedance is just as likely to
be lower than 50 Ohm and a 1:1 is more appropriate.

No need for me to elaborate, W8JI does a fine job:
https://www.dxengineering.com/techarticles/balunsandfeedlinechokes/baluns-choosing-the-correct-balun

N7WS