[TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 1 12:36:48 EST 2017

On 1/1/17 7:59 AM, Tom Hellem wrote:
> Hi All-
> Our radio club is building a yagi to be used mostly for Field Day type
> setups.
> It's modeled upon the F-12 C-3 line, with the difference being we are not
> crazy about the element to boom mounting method with the u-bolts. I would
> like to come up with something that is MUCH faster to assemble and
> dis-assemble.

We use a Yagi like this for the JPL ARC field day activities.. To my
mind, the most timeconsuming part is putting all the little 4-40 screws
and nuts through the holes in elements.

How fast do you want to assemble?

I think some sort of bayonet quick connect, or maybe a rugged banana
plug/jack.  It's for a temporary installation, so if it comes apart,
it's not a crisis.  I've rummaged at the hardware store for things like
this and there's a variety of quick lock pin things.