[TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Sun Jan 1 12:48:13 EST 2017

I have used a different color spray paint and hit the joints with the
paint, one color for each band.  The only issue you may have with the
C3's is that the holes were not drilled at the same place at each
element.  With a number of ownership changes maybe that was changed.  It
appears they drilled the holes on the fly and got close but not perfect
so you may or may not be able to get the rivets in.

W0MU

On 1/1/2017 10:41 AM, jimlux wrote:
> On 1/1/17 8:20 AM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
>> The element to boom mounting using a U bolt is a pretty fast and easy
>> method for mounting.  Also if you use their idea of rivets you can
>> temporarily insert the rivets and tape over them to hold them in place.
>
> I like that.. a box of rivets, or just pins of some sort. Shove them
> in, whip a piece of tape around.  With two people it could go pretty
> fast. Disassembly is a knife/box cutter
>
> you definitely want to paint easy to identify markings on elements.
> Maybe you could do the tent pole shock cord thing to help keep them in
> order.
>
> It's a temporary installation, so the extra weight from the
> rope/shock-cord wouldn't be an issue.
>

>> I suppose you could permanently mount a piece of aluminum on the booms
>> and then u-bolt the elements to.  You would have to account for that
>> mounting system in the design.  I am not sure what you would be gaining.
>>
>> W0MU
>>

>> On 1/1/2017 8:59 AM, Tom Hellem wrote:
>>> Hi All-
>>> Our radio club is building a yagi to be used mostly for Field Day type
>>> setups.
>>> It's modeled upon the F-12 C-3 line, with the difference being we
>>> are not
>>> crazy about the element to boom mounting method with the u-bolts. I
>>> would
>>> like to come up with something that is MUCH faster to assemble and
>>> dis-assemble.
>>>
>>> We have a few ideas but would sure like to know of any others out
>>> there.
>>> Do any of you have some that you would be willing to share with us and
>>> the
>>> group?
>>>
>>> 73 and HNY to all.
>>>
>>> Tom