[TowerTalk] US Tower price increase

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 3 11:43:02 EST 2017

I looked at the Luso150US plus 4.5" dia 5 meter mast in some detail, had
them do the calcs for the antennas I wanted.  2x 4L 40, 2 x 5L 20, 3L 80
which is a fairly serious tower loading!  It didn't happen for three
reasons, a used R65 tower and 9 yagis became locally available cheap, I
preferred independent rotators (rings or swing arms) and servicing
concerns with the Luso.  So, I went with a Phillystran guyed R65 tower
with K0XG rings.  For high wind areas the Luso may be a good choice with
its 1 minute up/down cycle, if the regulators allow that mode of compliance.

In the end the cost difference of Luso vs what I did was small since the
tower was erected professionally (a 20' section with two rings weighed
about 1000#) .  The Luso base is a monster, their base plus rebar plus
lots of concrete. As I understand it, Luso ships in a dedicated 2TEU
container and ships everything (except the engineer) in it.  Nice slide
show of Luso install: http://www.7163net.com/k8xs/index.html

Flying an engineer from Japan might be cheaper than commercial tower
riggers here.

Grant KZ1W