[TowerTalk] Force 12

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Jan 19 20:32:45 EST 2017

On Thu,1/19/2017 4:04 PM, Kevin wrote:
> It's just physics isn't it?

Yes, but there's also the skill of the designer in optimizing many
interelated aspects of a design that aren't always obvious. National
Contest Journal has recently published two excellent interviews of
Inovantenna engineer G0KSC by ARRL Antenna Book editor Ward Silver,
N0AX. Justin talks about several new design techniques he's learned that
produce better designs.

what's better?  Things like gain and directivity that holds up better
across a band, improved horizontal and vertical patterns, better
matching across a band. As an engineer, I found it VERY interesting.

20-30 years ago, N6BT was the hot young engineer who revolutionized the
design of HF antennas that were sold under his Force12 brand. Tom has
written extensively about his earlier design techniques in "Array of
Light," a somewhat poorly organized self-published book that while
really needing an editor, contains a LOT of VERY useful information. Now
in it's third edition, it's well worth chasing down. Since moving to W6
in 2006, I've been part of the Pacificon Antenna Forum with Tom, and
he's still doing great work and sharing it. I've learned a lot from Tom.

http://www.n6bt.com/n6bt-AAOL-3rd-1.htm

73, Jim K9YC