[TowerTalk] Opinions on the RF-PRO-1B Active Magnetic Loop Antenna?

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:17:29 EST 2017

I advise also posting your question to the topband reflector.   It's
important to mention frequencies these antennas are used for.

I have a pair of RF-Pro-1B loop antennas.  I use them primarily on 160
meters.  I am on a small city lot, 50 x 100 feet and have a lot of
uncontrollable RFI.  Compared to other options these antennas work
quite well.  They exhibit a deep null off the sides, 20 to 25 dB.  The
null is rather narrow as expected.  On 160 at least, it is all about
S/N ratio, not signal strength.  I have tried other small antennas,
untuned wires, non-resonant low hanging dipoles, hamstick dipoles and
homebrew coaxial rx loops but these antennas have been a good solution
for me due to their small size, as I lack the room even for a Flag or
Pennant.  I use a pair of them and a phasing network to null unwanted
noise. I have used mine down into the AM broadcast band, and up on 75
and 40 meters to null RFI as well.   I can't recommend them in place
of a beverage, or other large rx antenna because I have no experience
with them, but if you are really tight for space, they are the best
thing I have found.

73

Rob
K5UJ