[TowerTalk] Wire Antennas Only For Field Day

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jul 5 20:01:48 EDT 2017

On 7/5/2017 11:03 AM, Russ Dearmore via TowerTalk wrote:
> I was wondering if in the past FD was regulated to only wire antennas.

Not in the past 60 years at least. :)  And I can't think of a good
reason for doing so. FD is about emergency preparedness, learning to
improvise setups away from home,  learning operating skills, mentoring
new hams, and exposing people to ham radio. While it's not officially a
contest, we've treated it like one for all of the 60 years I've been
doing it. But many hams don't -- rather, it's an excuse for a club
picnic. Whatever turns you on, go for it. It's all in the spirit of ham
radio.

73, Jim K9YC