[TowerTalk] Latteral load capability of T2X in mast mounted configuration

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 21 18:43:42 EDT 2017

Seems to me that amount of cantilevered weight (you don't mention how
far above the rotator is the 200# antenna) is risky for most rotators.
The tail-twister has a nice spacing between the bearings, but how strong
are the aluminum casting and the bottom 5/16-18 threads in it, a die
casting?

I've built a couple of mast supports for similar situations.

For a friend I made a "C" shaped extension for his 4x4" 6061 mast so he
could mount a tree of VHF/UHF antennas.  The bottom of the C was 1/4"
plate bolted to the existing mast top plate and had enough offset to
mount a rotator, standard hole pattern.  Then one 2 1/2" sq tube about
3' to another horizontal plate for a "thrust" bearing.  Thus, the
rotator load was that of one mounted inside the tower.

So I would build a stub tower extension large enough to fit the
rotator.  Mount a triangular 1/4" thick steel plate to the top plate of
the tower using the existing rotator holes.  For 200 lbs of antenna,
three 3' to 4' long vertical 1" diameter (1" sch 40 pipe is 1.32" od)
supports (spaced enough to get in the rotator and plate large enough to
weld to) to a same size as bottom top plate that holds a polymer radial
bearing.  Then the limit is the tower spec not the rotator.  Most any
welding shop could knock this out in an hour or two if you are able to
do the finishing & painting.

Or maybe Chris KF7P.com might make a product for rotators that don't fit
or masts larger in diameter than the tower top tube.  Known problems.

For telephone poles, I made a "C" shaped frame that bolted to the pole,
4' tall vertical and had a rotator pattern drilled plate two horizontals
welded to the vertical.   Rotator at the bottom, "thrust" bearing at the
top (I admit it was a Yaesu bearing, this was before I became
evangelical about plastic ones).  I had side straps to the sides of the
pole to minimize the twist on the thru the pole threaded rods.  This
held an A4S in a high wind ridge top environment.  The 35' tall pole was
guyed.

Grant KZ1W