[TowerTalk] Be Careful With the Tolerance in Laser Levels (Tower base leveling

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sun Jul 23 10:06:21 EDT 2017

How do you use a water level to plumb a tower?  I have been using a transit
level for decades and it works in any WX.

John KK9A

To:	towertalk at contesting.com
Subject:	Re: [TowerTalk] Be Careful With the Tolerance in Laser
Levels (Tower base leveling.
From:	Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g at windstream.net>
Date:	Sun, 23 Jul 2017 06:02:32 -0500
List-post:	<mailto:towertalk at contesting.com>
Roger, What did you use to measure the error in the water level. My
experience with water levels vs 4 ft and even 8 ft spirit levels shows the
water level to be as close as I could read it, essentially zero instrument

I second the disparaging comment posted here regarding cheap Chinese laser
levels.  I have a transit and find it no better than the water level.

For a water level I use garden hoses with clear plastic extensions.  The
extensions are sold to use for filling RV water tanks.  A small tipped
marker pen can scribe a narrow line on each when the water is not disturbed.
Some of the plastic extensions have 90 degree ball valves incorporated which
makes it easier to move the hoses around without spilling water.

Patrick        NJ5G

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list