[TowerTalk] MFJ-998 automatic tuner

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 19:14:14 EST 2017

I use it with the ptt from the radio and to switch the amp on only when
there's a tuning solution. It takes about 20 watts to work.

All it takes is PTT. It senses RF and counts frequency. You might try
supplying "manual" ptt and transmitting increasing power levels to see if
you can get it to tune...

Mickey N4MB

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:20 PM Dick NY1E <dick at ny1e.com> wrote:

> Does anyone here have one connected to their transceiver with the MFJ
> cable? I now have my second MFJ-998, and it acts just like the first. it
> tunes fine but not like I understand it's supposed to work. I expect it to
> turn my transmitter on at low power cw when I hit the tune button on the
> tuner, my Yaseu FTdx1200 does nothing and tuner says HUH? INCREASE POWER.
> Before I sent the tuner back they sent me a second cable, same results. I
> went in the 1200 menu and selected external tuner. Is it just not as
> automatic as I expect, if so whats the radio control cable for??de Dick NY1E

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Palm Beach Gardens
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.