[TowerTalk] radials 160

Kevin Kidd kkbroadcastengineering at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 09:46:07 EST 2017

Hi all,

George, your plow is very similar to the plows that we use to build AM
broadcast ground systems.  They started life as single tine sub-soil plows
and have lots of modifications since.  I built and hard surfaced a new foot
to minimize soil disturbance caused by the wide subsoil toe.

We also have an 8hp dog fence trencher that we use in areas where we don't
have access with a tractor.  It is a modified BCS tiller w/ reverse
rotating transmission.  The dog fence trencher is almost exactly the same
thing that sat dish installers once used (or may still use) to get TVRO
cable across manicured yards.  It cuts a clean 1/2in wide, 3 to 4in deep
slit thru sod and soil with a spinning "saw" blade.  The wire comes out of
the bottom of a foot following the blade.

They don't work very well in rocky soil.  Also be very, very careful that
you don't try to cross a radial (or other wire) that you have already
installed.  You won't like the results.

If your local rental yard doesn't have a dog fence trencher, ask about "bed
edgers".  Also look for dog fence installation companies.  I also have a
wheeled sidewalk edger that we used years ago.  It makes a narrow, shallow
(1in) cut thru sod that is OK but much harder to use than the dog fence
trencher.

Regards,

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:03 PM, George Dubovsky <n4ua.va at gmail.com> wrote:

> I buried all of my 160 meter radials (approx 60) with a home-made radial
> plow pulled behind a compact diesel tractor - took about 2 minutes per
> radial. Modified subsoiler - less than $200 invested.
>
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3V9JKlc_l_ZMWlOZFJWUXp2VDg>
>
> 73,

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD
Lawrenceburg, TN