[TowerTalk] current balun question

Dave Clemons dave at egh.com
Thu Mar 9 16:47:47 EST 2017

I would like to build a 40 meter sloper array based on K3LR's QST
article of 1994.  (This article is still available on the web, although
I do not have its url handy (google K3LR sloper array - it was for 160
meters).  In it he used a bead balun on RG142.  I would like to know if
I can use the simple coax balun used by many on antennas (8 or so turns
on a 4 or 6 inch diameter circle).  I am suspicious that doing so would
cause the coax lines on the parasitic elements to no longer be the
proper length for 153.45 degrees, acting sort of like a loading coil.
Am I correct to assume this would be a bad idea?

Thanks,
Dave K1VUT