[TowerTalk] current balun question

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Mar 9 16:57:55 EST 2017

On Thu,3/9/2017 1:47 PM, Dave Clemons wrote:
> I am suspicious that doing so would cause the coax lines on the
> parasitic elements to no longer be the proper length for 153.45 degrees,

Yes

> acting sort of like a loading coil.

No, but screwing up the phasing. Putting it simply, the total length of
coax in each feed must be that 153.45 degree length, including any coax
that you coil up.

> Am I correct to assume this would be a bad idea?

Yes, for that reason and also because a coil of coax is NOT an effective
"current balun." What's often called a "current balun" is really a
common mode choke. Study k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf to understand why that
coil of coax is a lousy common mode choke, and to see several options
for GOOD common mode chokes in the Choke Cookbook.

73, Jim K9YC