[TowerTalk] checking balun phasing

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 15 13:41:51 EDT 2017

On 3/15/17 9:06 AM, StellarCAT wrote:
 > the ones I had were junk. Two of the 5 fell apart on their own (bad
 > internal soldering) ... one was used in a phased array and even though
 > the markings were followed for getting the right phasing it was indeed
 > phased backwards forcing a tower climb and real stretch to get to that
 > one. I changed all that I could get to with a Balun Design balun and
 > never looked back.
 >
 > Gary
 > K9RX

This prompts an interesting question.  What would be an easy way to
check the polarity of an RF transformer (which is what the Balun sort of
is).  For some designs (coax choke) you could measure DC continuity, but
there are designs with DC continuity, but where that wouldn't tell you
the phasing.

Assume one has a antenna analyzer of some sort (Yeah, if you have a VNA,
it's trivial).