[TowerTalk] Tri-Ex now Tashtosers.com

Gene K5GS k5gs at arrl.net
Sun Mar 19 13:19:48 EDT 2017

Karl Tashjian worked for Tri-Ex for 15 years and signed off as a PE on
their towers.

When Tri-Ex closed the doors the tooling was sold to Will-Burt a firm
that makes military and commercial towers. Their intention was to add
the ham market to their line, or so it seemed in the year 2001.

Will--Burt made a few Tri-Ex designed and Will-Burt re-engineered LM-470
towers.  Their commercial / military upbringing shined through, the cost
to build their redesigned foundation to PE certified specifications was
at commercial levels.  They delivered a few LM-470s with this new design
and shortly afterwards quit the ham business.

There is a long and sordid story of a handful of people that were caught
in the middle of the transition between Tri-Ex and Will-Burt, deposits
paid, bases shipped - installed and no tower that would fit the old base
design.

Fortunately for the ham community, Karl opened Tashjian Towers shortly
after Will-Burt walked from the ham market. Karl sells a good product,
Will-Burt too makes good products but I think they would have priced
themselves out of the ham market early on.

Cheers,
Gene K5GS