[TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed Mar 22 18:32:54 EDT 2017

On 3/22/2017 4:05 PM, RCM wrote:

> I think the term “Carolina Windom” was given as a cute name in
 > some magazine article,

Carolina Windom is a registered trademark of RadioWorks:
   www.radioworks.com

The antenna has been often copied but in any case my antenna was a
RadioWorks original.  The PVC housing for the matching unit (auto-
transformer) at the feedpoint was so brittle that the hang-up eye
and both eyes for the legs pulled through, nuts and all.

 > To say a Carolina Windom is no good because yours fell down, is
 > saying Ford cars are no good because I had a flat tire.

All I'm saying is that the PVC is not a good choice for a structural
element when exposed to UV.

I will say that a Carolina Windom (r) has a feed point 3/8 of the way
from one end.  Modelling does not support a low SWR (or SWR suitable
for use with a tuner) on all bands even with the 22' vertical section
as claimed by the manufacturer.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV