[TowerTalk] Wire antenna help needed

KD0Q-Glenn kd0q at traer.net
Wed Mar 22 21:01:27 EDT 2017

Steve,

I've had good success on 80-10 with 135 ft long, 450 ohm ladder line fed
doublets similar to the DX Engineering Multi-Band Dipole Antenna.  DXE
says to use a 1:1 current balun but I've used 4:1. Use a short run of
coax, RG-213 or the like, to the tuner.

Have used a Cobra UltraLite (www.k1jek.com) on field day with good
results.  It's kind of a linear loaded 450 ohm ladder line fed doublet.
About 1/2 the length of a full size doublet but with somewhat less
efficiency on the lowest band.  Used using a good 4:1 current balun and
short piece of RG-213 coax to the tuner.

Have also used commercial and home brew OCF dipoles.  They work.
Overrate the the balun.  And be prepared to do significant feed line
choking.

73, Glenn - KD0Q