[TowerTalk] Polarity question..on a dipole

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Mar 31 22:25:09 EDT 2017

Farm and Ranch stores like Orchelns, Atwoods, Tractor Supply, etc sell
insulating tubing (plastic, don't know composition) for use with
electric fencing. It is 1/4 inch or maybe a tad less.  My fence charger
is rated for over 200 miles of fence with a fairly high joule rating and
puts my digital meter (good for up to 10,000 Volts) into over scale ,
i.e. has more output than 10KV. I can have a wire insulated with this
tubing against grounded pipes or buried in conductive soil and not get
arcing to the pipe or the damp conductive dirt.

This stuff might just help stop an antenna from arcing to any part of a
tree.  I haven't tried it with antennas as I have no need for that but
have used a lot of lot for underground distribution of the hot wire.

Patrick        NJ5G