[TowerTalk] Wind Speed by Location

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Mon May 15 12:06:00 EDT 2017

Tnx for sharing that Gene. No numbers came up for this location, but I've
maintained a WX station and auto- recorded daily most aspects of the local
wx since 2007. At my exposed location we experience interesting wind
conditions during the year!!!!!! I've a pretty good grasp on what to expect
here. So far, everything has stayed up during even the most severe wind
condx.

If ever thinking of visiting the scenic Oregon coast,  there is a site owned
by the OCRG (Oregon Coast Repeater Group) providing current wx conditions
24/7 from Rockaway Beach to Yachats on the OR coast at
http://www.ocrg.org/telemetry_feed/ocrgwx.html. All of this information is
fed to the NWS through MesoWest.

Most of the wx stations are located at ham locations. I'm the 'Yachats'
site. We also host AIS and ADS-B receiving and reporting stations.

Other interesting information is also available on the OCRG site.

I know a lot of hams have wx instruments mounted outside (some on towers,
some on roofs, etc) but few installations are designed around the NOAA/NWS
wx instrument siting standard. The siting standards for the various wx
reporting instruments such as, temp, humidity, rain, wind, etc are difficult
to meet for most ham installations, so most do what works.

Don W7WLL