[TowerTalk] Yaesu mast clamps

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri May 19 02:57:14 EDT 2017

Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 21:21:56 -0400
From: <john at kk9a.com>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu mast clamps

<A solution to what?  They are adjustable for various size masts and they
<<grip it well.

John KK9A

To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu mast clamps
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj at roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 16:32:36 -0400

Does anyone have a good solution to the cast aluminum mast clamps used
on the G-1000 rotor.

73, Roger

##  the mast clamps on both my OR-2800  are fubar.   The K7LXC  versions are  much better.
The K7NV version is the ultimate solution.   Both the K7LXC and K7NV versions have to be
ordered  for a specific mast OD, not adjustable.

##  I have the K7NV version...in 2 inch..for my small K7NV  prop pitch.   Its a round steel tube,
slit down its length, and welded base.    The open slit has lips running lengthways welded on....with
6 x holes.  Just pinch it in the middle with vice grips..and no way in hell can a mast ever slip.   The
surface area is massive,  36 ++ square inches.   Total surface area on the  OR-2900 mast clamp
is next to nothing.   Baffles me why  M2 keeps making the damn thing... its ill conceived, not engineered.

##  A mast clamp that will handle anything  from a  2-3 inch mast can easily be designed, with out having
to resort to the 4 x rows of teeth method that the OR-2800 clamp uses.  The OR-2800 clamp doesnt work
since the pressure points are all on the tips of very few teeth.....which will  not bite into a CM mast anyway.
Yaesu has it figured out for an adjustable mast clamp.

Jim  VE7RF